I was cleaning out the garage and came across the boxes of gourds that had been sitting there for several years. They had been purchased to make shekere's but i wasn't really interested in that anymore. I decided to sit with them and play. This was the first gourd vessel I created. I had been working with collard green images for a while so it seemed like a natural entry. I cut the top off a bottle gourd and began to shape collard leaves. I decided to make them dimensional. The act of carving in each leaf was almost meditative. Just me and my Dremel! After carving the leaves I painted them with acrylic and coated it inside and out with polyurethane, so I guess it's waterproof! I love this gourd. I thought I'd do more greens, but the gourds led me in a different direction.
8.5" in diameter by 7" high